Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Encouragement

Taken from Yina's blog

On a sudden whim, or perhaps a nudging from the Spirit, I asked Mich Lee if I could visit her church today. (Thanks Mich!) The Bible Church is an hour away in Clementi by bike+train+bus compared to the convenient 15 min bike ride to Woodlands EFC, but well worth it today. We sang 6 very powerful hymns, including the classics "To God be the Glory" and "How Great Thou Art", and it was quite an experience to hear the congregation's collective voice swell to a great volume. I was very moved by the music - could imagine my soul lifted up and reaching upwards to God. The worship leader said: "As you sing this hymn [How Great Thou Art], ask yourselves what makes your soul sing.."

Right before confession time we sang this particular hymn, and by the time we reach the second chorus, all of a sudden I knew that God had placed me right there in that santuary for this moment, for Him to speak gently and encouragingly in my ear.

Be Still my Soul
Verse 1:
Be still my soul, be still my soul
Cease from the labor and the toil
Refreshing springs of peace await
To troubled minds and hearts that ache

Chorus 1:
Be still my soul God knows your way
And He will guide for His name's sake
Plunge in the rivers of His grace
Rest in the arms of His embrace

Verse 2:
Be still my soul be still my soul
Though battles 'round you rage and roar
One thing you need and nothing more
To hear the whisper of your Lord

Chorus 2:
Be still My child I know your way
And I will guide for My name's sake
Plunge in the rivers of My grace
Rest in the arms of My embrace


Even though I feel unceremoniously tossed from country to country, uprooted and flung about like a weed in a monsoon thunderstorm; even though family troubles weigh me down like the muggy air that does not go away; even though the future seems impossible and uncertain, God reassures me that he "knows the way", He "will guide" despite my bumbling fumbling manners.

And yet it's not in the words of the song, nor the words of Scripture that we've heard a thousand times: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." (Jesus) But the living Spirit that moves in those words and in the intangible chords of the music melts our hearts and gives us peace. In that moment God poured refreshing life into me, and my soul listened to Him.

And then this very bombastic and exuberant preacher named Mr. Peter Chao came and gave an amazing message about the "components of worship". Towards the end he said (something to the effect of): "Let us stop having such august faces, as though we're having a funeral service, as though God is dead. Our God is alive! And He breathes life into every hopeless situation." :) So even though my heart aches for a million things right now, and I'm painfully aware of a mugginess of life here in Singapore, I am humbly and joyfully thankful for the hope that Jesus brings.

Good ol' bumbling Samwise says in the Lord of the Rings (movie): "This shadow, even darkness, must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, i do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something. "

Frodo: "What are we holding on to, Sam?"

Sam: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home