Saturday, March 31, 2007

I Am Your Father Who Loves You

I just watched Blood Diamond, and there was a particular scene in the film which really took hold of me. In the scene, Dijimon Hounsou, as Solomon Vandy says to his son,
"I know you have done many wrong things.
And I am your father who loves you.
And you will go home with me, and be my son."


How beautiful it is to have a father who can say that to us. Even the hardest, most cynical heart has within the hope for redemption, for renewal, and God's arms stretch out long and wide to His children. No matter what sin or crime we have committed, no matter how evil or how vile, God wants to be your father, because He loves you.

In Jeremiah 31:3, the Bible says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." And further in verse 20, "Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him,' declares the LORD." (Jer 31:20)

Maybe God is knocking on the door of your heart, asking you to come back to Him, to be His son. And maybe in spite of all the turmoil, the chaos, the lies, deceit, evil, and empty promises of this world, when it all passes away into nothingness from which it all came, God is there, offering Himself through His son who died for us. Jesus says in Revelations 3:20, "Behold! I stand at the door and knock! If anyone would hear my voice and open the door, I will go in and eat with him, and he with Me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home